THE GOTHIC CHURCH. (NEW HAVEN).

image7740

William Bartlett

Artist's Biography

The Gothic Church. (New Haven).

Engraving, 1839.
Image size 4 3/4 x 7 1/8" (121 x 182 mm).
Good condition with modern handcolor.
LOCATION: New York City

Inventory Number: 7740
Price: $85.00
Publisher : London, Published for the Proprietors, by Geo. Virtue.
Published in "American Scenery: Or, Land, Lake and River Illustrations of Transatlantic Nature."

A view of the New Haven Green in New Haven, Connecticut. The old State House can be seen in the foreground on the left. Center Church is directly behind it and Trinity Church is on the right, largely in silhouette.

Center Church was completed in 1814 and was constructed in a typical New England manner. Trinity Church was an Episcopalian parish completed in 1816. It was built in the Gothic Revival style. Both were designed by Ithiel Town, with Asher Benjamin assisting on Center Church. Town also designed the State House, which was completed in 1831 to resemble ancient Greek architecture.

The State House served as a seat of government for Connecticut until 1874, when Hartford won the bid to become the state's sole capital (previously, both cities had held the title).. A great dispute ensued shortly there after as to what should be done with the now abandoned State House. Many in the public wanted it turned into a library, while others wished it to be demolished. A city vote in 1887 granted a $30,000 restoration budget which was, sadly, overruled by city officials. The building was torn down around 1889.
18th-19th Century Subjects , Town Views - United States , Connecticut

MORE WORKS BY WILLIAM BARTLETT