THE BATTERY.

image75996

Martin Lewis

Artist's Biography

The Battery.

Etching, 1915.
Image size 5 7/8 x 6 3/4" (15 x 17.4 cm).
Very good condition.
LOCATION: New York City

Inventory Number: 75996
Price: $25,000.00
Publisher :
The view depicted is looking north up the Hudson River from Battery Park. The round building is Castle Garden at the time it housed the New York Aquarium. The structure behind it is 17 Battery Place.

Castle Garden/Castle Clinton/West Battery Site has a long history. Originally built as a fort on an artificial island off Battery Park and named West Battery. Landfill added to the harbor during the third quarter of the nineteenth century brought Castle Garden onto the mainland of Manhattan. In 1815 it was renamed Castle Clinton in honor of the Mayor DeWitt Clinton. It opened as Castle Garden on July 3, 1824, and operated as a theater, opera house, and restaurant. On August 1, 1855, it became the Emigrant Landing, the nation’s first such entity. The New York Aquarium opened on December 10, 1896. The aquarium became part of the New York Zoological Society on October 31, 1902. Under the director Charles Haskins Townsend the collection of specimens was greatly increased attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors a year. In early October 1941 the Aquarium was closed by Robert Moses who wanted to tear down Castle Garden to build a connection between New York and Brooklyn. Moses did not get permission to tear down Castle Garden, the Aquarium moved to the Bronx Zoo for several years before securing its current location in Coney Island.
Signed in pencil, with an early vertical signature, signed before 1925. An image that is almost impossible to find by the artist.
20th Century Subjects , New York City , Harbor Scenes

MORE WORKS BY MARTIN LEWIS