For San Francisco, Direct. The elegant A1 New York built Clipper Ship Mandarin.
Relief and type on blue paper. c.1850.
Card size, 7 3/16 x 4 7/16" (18.2 x 11.3 cm).
Good condition save for minor damp staining along lower edge. LOCATION: New York City
Inventory Number: 92790
Publisher : Printed by James Hall, Printer, 222 Water, cor. Beekman N.Y.
The Mandarin was the second clipper to be build exclusively for the California trade. She was build by William H Webb and launched in June, 1850. Her first trip to San Francisco was in 1850 under the command of Captain Stoddard. She was owned by the shipping firm of Goodhue & Co. This card is one of the earliest produced. Clipper ship cards were first used as a smaller alternative to broadsides, following in the tradition of trading cards, and became very popular, widespread and more colorful in the 1860's. 18th-19th Century Subjects, Advertising Broadsides