NUOVO MESSICO. [MEXICO CITY]

image30891

Gio. Tommaso Masi


Nuovo Messico. [Mexico City]

Copper plate engraving, 1763
7 x 10 1/4" (177 x 260 mm) plus margins.
Good condition. B/W
LOCATION: New York City

Inventory Number: 30891
Price: $325.00
Publisher :
A view of Mexico City from Masi's "Il Gazzettiere Americano contenente un distinto ragguaglio di tutte le parti del Nuovo Mondo," Livorno, Italy. An Italian translation of The American Gazetteer, published in London in 1762.

The great Aztec metropolis of Tenochtitlan was founded in 1325 in the center of a large lake. By 1500 Tenochtitlan was one of the largest cities in the world, with broad avenues, magnificent temples, bridges, sluices and public marketplaces. More advanced than Venice, Tenochtitlan was the center of the Aztec kingdom. Hernan Cortes first laid eyes of Tenochtitlan in 1519 and was immediately mesmerized by the city’s size and grandeur. After years of fierce battle, Cortes conquered the city in August of 1521, and renamed it Mexico City. It became the center of political and economic power in New Spain and one of the most important cities in the New World. The Spanish set about rebuilding the city, by draining the western shore of the lake and making the city a peninsula rather than an island.
Maps

MORE WORKS BY GIO. TOMMASO MASI