WEST BATTERY, NEW YORK. (CASTLE GARDEN).

image96032

H. Brewerton


West Battery, New York. (Castle Garden).

Watercolor, 1816.
Image size 10 7/16 x 15 5/8" (26.5 x 39.8 cm).
Good condition and color.
LOCATION: New York City

Inventory Number: 96032
Price: $6,500.00
Publisher :
Signed in pencil "H. Brewerton, 1816." The Old Print Shop is not able to find a listing for the artist. This shows the original fort known as "West Battery" before it was renamed "Castle Clinton" then "Castle Garden."

Castle Garden/Castle Clinton/West Battery Site has a long history. Originally built as a fort on an artificial island off Battery Park and named West Battery. Landfill added to the harbor during the third quarter of the nineteenth century brought Castle Garden onto the mainland of Manhattan. In 1815 it was renamed Castle Clinton in honor of the Mayor DeWitt Clinton. It opened as Castle Garden on July 3, 1824, and operated as a theater, opera house, and restaurant. On August 1, 1855, it became the Emigrant Landing, the nation’s first such entity. The New York Aquarium opened on December 10, 1896. The aquarium became part of the New York Zoological Society on October 31, 1902. Under the director Charles Haskins Townsend the collection of specimens was greatly increased attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors a year. In early October 1941 the Aquarium was closed by Robert Moses who wanted to tear down Castle Garden to build a connection between New York and Brooklyn. Moses did not get permission to tear down Castle Garden, and the Aquarium moved to the Bronx Zoo for several years before securing its current location in Coney Island.

Painted on a sheet of paper from the first quarter of the nineteenth century.
18th-19th Century Subjects , New York City , Manhattan - Downtown