THE GRAY'S FERRY CHEMICAL WORKS. HARRISON BROS & CO. PROPRIETORS. PHILADELPHIA.

image98565


The Gray's Ferry Chemical Works. Harrison Bros & Co. Proprietors. Philadelphia.

Engraving, c.1880.
Image size 4 7/16 x 6 9/16" (11.2 x 16.8 cm).
Good condition.
LOCATION: New York City

Inventory Number: 98565
Price: $75.00
Publisher :
J.N. Allan 85 Liberty St. N.Y.

The Harrison Bros & Co. was located in Grey's Ferry, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, between 34-36th Street and Grey's Ferry Road (today, Grey's Ferry Avenue), along the Schuylkill River. They were one of the largest manufacturers of paint and chemicals in southern Philadelphia, producing various types of lead, acids, varnishes, color pigments, etc. The Harrison Brother's purchased the land in Gray's Ferry in 1863 and built their factory shortly thereafter. It underwent numerous expansions in the proceeding decades. The DuPont Company purchased the company in 1917, and abandoned the site in the 1950s. Nothing remained of the old factory after 1983.
18th-19th Century Subjects , Town Views - United States , Pennsylvania - Philadelphia