Coal or Coke Burning Passenger Engine by the Baltimore & Ohio Rail Road Company. Designed by Samuel J. Hayes. Master of Machy.

Multi-stone lithograph with hand coloring. c.1855
Image size 21 3/4 x 32 5/8" (55.4 x 82.7 cm)
Good condition and color save for several short tears in the margins.
LOCATION: New York City

Inventory Number: 98633
Price: SOLD
Publisher : Published by the Baltimore & Ohio Rail Road Company., Baltimore.
Drawn by W. Baker, Baltimore; On Stone by M. Rosenthal; Lith of L.N. Rosenthal Cr. Of Dock & 3d. St. Phila. Weight 60,000 lbs., Scale, 1 inch – 1 foot.

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O), first steam-operated railway in the United States to be chartered as a common carrier of freight and passengers (1827).

A fine illustration of one of the first “Camel Back” locomotives built.

Description from the January 1898 issue of American Engineer – Car Builder and Railroad Journal. Article by M.N. Forney. The Hayes’ Ten-Wheel Locomotive.

The illustration herewith is a copy of an old lithograph of what was known as the Hayes ten-wheeler, built for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, away back in the fifties. At that time that company had just opened its line west of Cumberland, and the trains had to surmount the continuous grade of 116 ft. to the mile for 17 miles, beginning at Piedmont. Passenger engines were taken up this grade with one of Winans' "camel” engines behind as a pusher. Mr. Samuel J. Hayes was then Master of Machinery, as the Superintendent of that department was called, and he conceived the idea of a passenger engine designed somewhat on the lines of the Winans camel engines. He adopted Winans plan of boiler, with the sloping fire-box behind, and the cab on top, but he provided a leading truck in front which it was thought would make the engine curve better.

At that time Mr. Hayes had just been appointed to the position in charge of the machinery on the line, and his purpose was to produce an engine resembling the camel, but adapted to passenger service. Mr. David Rennie was Mr. Hayes' assistant, John Cochran was Mechanical Engineer and Mr. W. S. G. Baker, now President of the Baltimore Car Wheel Works, was his assistant. The lithograph was a copy of a drawing made by Mr. Baker, who writes that “The general designs were put in shape by Cochran, Mr. Hayes gave it careful attention as work progressed… .

These engines were among the first, if not the first, ten wheel locomotives produced.

The printer and delineator of the print were brothers. Louis Rosenthal was the older brother and publisher. Max, was the artist and lithographer. The Rosenthal firm was among the first to develop and promote multi-stone lithography which later developed into chromolithography. They were among the most talented practitioners of this new medium.
18th-19th Century Subjects , Locomotives & Railroads , Locomotive Broadside