ANCIENT DUTCH CHURCH, ALBANY.

image98665


Ancient Dutch Church, Albany.

Wood engraving, undated.
Paper size 10 9/16 x 6 7/8" (26.7 x 17.4 cm).
Good condition with modern handcolor.
LOCATION: New York City

Inventory Number: 98665
Price: $50.00
Publisher :
A brief, partial, history of the building and surrounding area is printed in the lower margin. Page 71 is not included to complete it.

The initial structure was built in 1656 by Dutch settlers. It was demolished around 1715 when the congregation became too large for the structure. Rather than tearing it down and starting anew, the Dutch constructed the new outer walls first and once fully enclosed, tore down the old structure now contained within. The stone pulpit utilized by the church had been brought over from Holland by Dutch West India Company.

At this point in early Dutch colonial history, Albany, New York was known as Beaverwyck.
18th-19th Century Subjects , Town Views - United States , New York State