SOUTH PART OF OYSTER BAY, QUEENS CO.

image48374

F. W. Beers


South Part of Oyster Bay, Queens Co.

Hand colored engraving. 1873.
Paper size 24 x 15 5/8" (61 x 39.4 cm).
Good condition and color save for toning of margins.
LOCATION: New York City

Inventory Number: 48374
Price: $150.00
Publisher : Published by Beers, Comstock & Cline, New York.
A detailed and nicely colored map from "Atlas of Long Island, New York. From recent and actual surveys and records." Many land owners names are given.

Nassau County was born on January 1, 1899 and the town of North Hempstead, Hempstead and Oyster Bay seceded from Queens to form the new Long Island county. The Dutch navigator deVries named Oyster Bay, and the Dutch were protective of the land, trying to discourage the settlement of English colonists. However, by 1653 a group from Massachusetts settled in what now is the town of Oyster Bay after Peter Wright bought the land called the "Town Spot" from Chief Mohanes of the Matinecock tribe. It also was the home of Teddy Roosevelt, who summered there during his Presidency. This map shows an area south east of Hickville including current day Massapequa and Seaford. Includes an area titled "Bedelltown" that will later become Bethpage State park, home of the famous Bethpage golf course. Also shown is the eastern tip of Jones Beach. Includes two insets maps of the villages of Farmingdale and Jericho.
Maps

MORE WORKS BY F. W. BEERS