The Old Print Shop

J. H. Bufford

The Bufford publishing house went through a few name changes over the years, starting out in 1835 as Bufford's Lithography. It was started by a gentleman by the name of John Henry Bufford (1810-1870), who was trained by Pendleton in Boston. For a period, Bufford lived and worked in New York City, where he took commissions from the likes of Nathaniel Currier, owner of N. Currier / Currier & Ives, who would become direct competition later on. Following his demise, the company was taken over by his sons, Frank G. Bufford and John Henry Bufford Jr., who expanded it to Chicago.